Staff Scientist – Dynamic Earth: Home of the Big Nickel
Do you consider yourself an absolute rock star? If yes, then joining the Dynamic Earth: Home of the Big Nickel team may be the perfect opportunity for you. Science North, Northern Ontario’s most popular tourist attraction, is seeking to fill the position of Staff Scientist for Dynamic Earth, Canada’s 8th largest science centre.
If you have a passion for earth sciences and mining and are looking for a unique and exciting place to share that knowledge, the role of Staff Scientist may be a perfect fit. Staff Scientists are Leaders with an innovative and creative spirit, who are excited and enthusiastic about communicating science to visitors of all ages. They lead the development and delivery of the science experiences through exhibits, workshops and educational programs and use their people skills to coach, mentor and manage a team of staff and volunteers in the delivery of a quality visitor experience.
As the successful candidate, you will actively participate on community and scientific committees/groups and participate in, or lead, special projects and events. The Staff Scientist plays a critical role in the operation of the Centre and as such must be flexible to work full-time hours with evenings, weekends and public/statutory holidays, as required.
As an added bonus, if you love Halloween, then Dynamic Earth is the place for you! For the month of October Dynamic Earth annually transforms into a Halloween experience attraction.
The successful candidate will have a science or equivalent degree in the earth science and/or mining field, skills in team leadership and staff supervision, proven abilities in multitasking in a rapidly changing environment, the ability to work with internal and external networks, and excellent verbal and written communication skills. Although the ability to speak French fluently is not required for this role, it would be considered an asset.
- Salary starting at $42,600 per year
- Annual performance and merit increase consideration
- Participation in the Science North Employee Incentive Plan
- Comprehensive group benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life/travel insurance, short and long-term disability coverage
- Pension plan following one year or opportunity for continued participation in Ontario Teacher’s Pension Plan
- Science North annual family membership
- Free or discounted admission to other attractions outside Sudbury, Science North facilities and program discounts, fitness membership contribution
- Professional development opportunities
- Minimum 3 weeks vacation with incremental entitlements of one week after 8 and 15 yrs of service
Interested applicants are asked to forward resumes to email@example.com quoting Job Number SSDE. Deadline for applications is March 20, 2020. Science North is committed to an inclusive workplace and invites applications from all qualified individuals to join our diverse team. Accommodations are available upon request in all aspects of Science North’s selection process. We thank all interested candidates; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Science North is a registered charity
Science North is an agency of the Government of Ontario.